Sunday, April 25, 2010

Nuke 'em 'till they glow


I was at my daughter's inline hockey practice a few days ago, and since my wrist is sore from a crash landing (yep, on inline skates... first one to mention mid life crisis gets banned :-P ), I decided to take some pics instead of practicing my (non existent) skating skills:


(BTW, I really enjoy readng strobist (though I'm pretty late to the show), and I totally dig DH's humor and writing style. What's that got to do with anything? Well, read on if you wanna know.)

I think I got some pretty cool looking pics, like the next one, which I shot lying on my belly:


Problem is, my filter got  a little dirty, so I decided to remove it. Big mistake! I now have a friggin' scratch on my lens! Ugh!

The setup was just a pair of speedlights at half power (a 430 EX II and a Vivitar 285 HV) mounted high on each side of the rink (not even sure if it's called a rink, but anyway...), as in the "Big gym, little lights" On Assignment post over at Strobist. I had to bump my ISO to 1600, since the lens I'm using only goes to f 5.6 while zoomed. Fortunately, it seems Lightroom 3 will  save me from purchasing a more expensive lens for the time being, as its noise reduction is pretty darn impressive.

But what about the title, you ask? Well, after shooting the practice session, I asked for a volunteer to try my hand a a portrait using flash, but I forgot to dial my flash down. I really nuked the poor fellow!


More at this Flickr stream

No comments:

Post a Comment