Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Lighting 102: Cooking light

This was a tough one. Since I’m taking this course  about two years late, I didn’t want to peek at the results beforehand, so I just did my best to come up with something interesting. Which I didn’t, but that’s to be expected from jumping head-on into something I don’t have the hang of yet.

My first attempt was pretty bleh (you can tell there’s a piece of paper and a metal fruit bowl in there, nothing special about it):

Tarea_1

Next up, a shot with a “better” background (just a piece of black cloth underneath), and the highlights a bit harder:

Tarea_2

After doing those two shots (and feeling pretty smug), I decided to take a look at the real entries from this assignment (you can check ‘em out in this post). Whoa! There were some seriously cool pics in there! I was totally humbled by the Scoop, and decided I had to try it out.

The results weren’t too great (I need to practice more!), but I’ll include them here for completeness (after all, this is an online record of my photographic attempts):

IMG_0569

A few planes of separation in this trio:

IMG_0574

IMG_0573

IMG_0572

Ok, ditch that, let’s concentrate on the quality of the specular reflections. I like this one a lot, though the knife isn’t the prettiest, surface-wise:

IMG_0536_small

A salad fork and spoon:

Tarea_3

And finally some crazy stuff that didn’t quite work:

IMG_0541

IMG_0548

No comments:

Post a Comment