Sunday, April 11, 2010

First shoot! (part 3: glass)

Last part of my First Shoot blunders: shooting glass. I read "Light: Science and Magic", but didn't actually do much of the exercises... and lost a chance to get the photo I wanted. There was this cool bar with bottles lighted from below, and I wanted to get some pics of people standing beside the bottles: The bar alone looked like this:


Nice! But as soon as I added some light to it...

Here's another shot, from a different angle, which shows the position from which I wanted to shoot:


Still looking nice! But guess what: glass reflects light. A lot. And glass bottles reflect light from almost anywhere. Like in the following shot:


Way to go, Joe! If I had only done my homework on shooting glass (and other shiny, spherical things), I would have immediately realized that the only way to get a decent pic would have been to snoot my flash and direct it to her face. Or maybe get someone in a white shirt to stand beside her and bounce my flash on his or her back, while keeping it flagged so no light spilled on the bottles. As I said, I think a learned a lot this time, so next time things should work out much better ('specially since I ordered a few radio remotes -- the cheap ones -- so I'll be able to take the flash off the camera. I'll post here with results).

No comments:

Post a Comment